Learn fashion photography from Michel Nafziger with 30+ years of industry experience!
New York City | May 19th, 2018
In this class, attendees will not only get to shoot a represented model one-on-one in a professional studio setting, they will work on developing a personal approach to their fashion photography—defining their own aesthetic. The class will begin with a portfolio review, what is missing, and what to individually focus on during your one-on-one shooting experience. Class discussions cover technical considerations and demonstrations. See full itinerary at the end for details of the day.
About your instructor
Michel Nafziger got his start in photography as a photographer's assistant in Paris. He then spent two years in San Francisco, where he earned the Merit Award Scholarship of the Academy of Art College. He returned in the mid 80’s to Vogue Paris, assisting for Guy Bourdin among others. Meeting with Helmut Newton to become his assistant, Mr Newton kindly declined the proposition, saying that Michel was already a photographer.
Following his advice, Michel started out his professional career in advertising, before going on to work for magazines like ID, French Elle and Vogue USA, among others, for fashion and celebrities portraiture.
His portfolio includes worldwide advertising campaigns for Marithe and Francois Girbaud, Yves Saint Laurent, Guy Laroche and Hanro.
Michel conducts a workshop once a year at the International Center of Photography. “About Fashion Photography” And had his first solo show at the Iliya Fridman gallery in Tribecca January 2013.
Spots are limited & are expected to sell out! NYC May 19th, 2018
Only 10 spots available, reserve your spot today!
Workshop Fee's & Deposits are non-refundable
9am - 10am: Intro to your instructor & Portfolio Review
- Limit your portfolio review to 10 - 15 images
- Note: that your portfolio does not need to consist of fashion images! We have had a range of photographers take our workshops, from landscape photographers, wedding shooters, and even car editorial photographers!
10am - 10:30am: Meet Your Model & Plan For First Look
- Go through style rack of clothes and choose the first outfit!
- Talk with beauty team on hair & makeup and decide on a direction for the first look!
10:30am - 11:30pm: Set Up Your Lights
- While model is in hair and makeup we set up the studio
- Reference images...what are we going for? Learn how to recreate the light in the image with the equipment in-studio
- Set up and test lighting
11:30am - 1pm: Shoot First Look
- Michel warms up the model, shares his techniques while you're able to observe him before you shoot
- Alternate shooting the model with other attendees, while you're not shooting you are assisting and learning from one another
1pm - 1:30pm Break For Lunch
1:30pm - 2:pm: Model Is Prepped For Second Look
- Choose styling & decide on beauty changes
2:00pm - 3:30pm: Shoot Second Look
3:30 - 4pm: Model Is Prepped For Third
4pm - 5:30pm: Shoot Third Look
This is a planned schedule, subject to adjustments. The 'goal' is to shoot 3 looks.
Please bring 35mm & or 120 film to accommodate shooting 3 looks.